12th Grade Options (September 2020)
These options have been chosen to ensure that as many students as possible can do the subjects which they have informed us they would like to take. The options may be altered if choices change as a result of the IGCSE results.
Students must choose subjects from each of the options below. Students must have gained a B grade pass or above at IGCSE/GCSE to be eligible to choose AS subjects†. Students gaining a C grade pass or a high enough school grade in an extended subject, may be eligible to join an existing class.
Students are allowed to choose study periods by opting out of some subjects.
|Number of AS Subject Studied||Number of Study Periods Allowed|
|One or zero||2|
|Two||2 to 4|
|Three or more||7|
- Psychology(5) & Current Affairs (2)
or Biology† (7) or History† (7)
- Apolytirion English (5) & Study Periods (2)
or Chemistry†(7) or Art† (7)
- Sport & Exercise Science (7)
or Physics† (7) or Geography(7)† or Business (7)†
- Accounting (5) & Applied ICT(2)
or ICT†*(7) or English Language† (7) or Greek(7)†*
- Apolytirion Maths (7)
or Maths† (7)
Compulsory subjectsPhysical Education(2)
† These classes follow an AS syllabus
* These classes do not continue to A-Level
(2) – The number of periods taught each week.
Grade 12 ApolytirionThe alternatives to the subjects that follow an AS syllabus are school based Apolytirion subjects. They cover a wide range of skills leading towards the Apolytirion and are not examined externally. The school reserves the right to alter these subjects. Students may take a mixture of AS and Apolytirion subjects. AS subjects will also contribute towards the Apolytirion. AS subjects are more demanding and will be weighted more heavily than the Apolytirion subjects. As of May 2018, the previously known High School Diploma is now called the Apolytirion, which is equivalent to that issued by Cypriot schools.
12th Grade Apolytirion Subjects 2020
- Apolytirion English
- Apolytirion Maths
- Applied ICT
- Sports & Exercise Science
- Current Affairs
Apolytirion Point System
- Grade 12 Subjects is graded using a 20 point scale (similar to the Apolytirion)
- This will be used exclusively on Grade 12 Term 1,2,3 & Final reports.
- The pass mark will be 10/20
- The percentage grade (from tests, classwork etc..) will be converted to a point score
- This conversion will take the difficulty of the subjects into account.
- The precise conversion scale will be calculated on a subject by subject basis, taking previous years grades into account to ensure as fair a system as possible.
- The point score will be used to determine Credit & Distinction.
As such we strongly recommend that students who are capable of doing AS subjects and meet the requirements, choose them to obtain the highest possible score on their Apolytirion.